After two years of research and another year of beta testing, we are thrilled to introduce the DittoForm, a dressform built from a 3D scan of your body. The High Resolution DittoForm model is the first of it’s kind available to home sewers.
Why have we been so obsessed with building a better dressform? Well, it’s kind of the holy grail for the home sewer… Having an accurate dressform can open the floodgates of your creative potential when it comes designing, making, and fitting your own clothes. With an accurate form, you can easily and intuitively draft patterns for yourself that don’t require rounds and rounds of alterations, and you can fit garments made from commercial patterns with greater ease, saving you a lot of time and frustration.
So far, none of the commercial forms available on the market today capture the subtleties of your individual body shape that are key to getting a good fit when making and altering garments. Most of us have bodies that are just a little bit asymmetrical… one shoulder might be a little lower, our spine might be slightly curved, or you we might have proportions that are outside of the “normal” ranges that dressform manufacturers set for their products.
The DittoForm works for all body types, male or female. It offers many advantages over the commercial and customizable forms currently available on the market today because it:
- Captures your exact body dimensions from your mid thighs to your neck, including just below the shoulders, the area most relevant to making virtually any garment. This includes the slope of your shoulders, the arcs of your shoulder blades, and curve(s) of your stomach, hips and additional contours that other dressforms can’t mimic.
- Are made of durable foam and easy to pin into
- Include legs up to the mid-thigh for fitting and drafting dresses, skirts, tops, and pants
- Are very lightweight (less than 10 pounds) and easy to transport
- Come with a fully adjustable stand so the form can rotate on a pole or be hung from the neck
- Include materials so you can add pattern drafting lines at the center front, center back, bust, waist, hip and side seams to help you with fitting and pattern drafting
- Do not require a long (and sometimes physically taxing) fitting process like the tape or plaster-wrap forms. You just stand on a rotating scanning platform for a few seconds.
- Work for men and women of any height or weight
Until now, getting a customized professional form cost thousands of dollars. We have worked hard to get the cost of the DittoForm at a price point that is accessible to the home sewer.Allison is the inventor of the DittoForm and the owner of Tilden House Studio. As a sewing teacher and an avid sewer, she could see that fit was the chief frustration of many home sewers and was determined to find a way to make this easier. After constructing countless duct-tape forms and helping students modify other customizable forms on the market, she saw the pitfalls of these options and wanted to find a better solution. With the help of her engineering-savvy brother and lots of late nights researching scanning technologies, she was able to develop an in-house scanning booth and launch the first version of the product in January 2015. Since then, the project has attracted excitement and attention from sewers and makers worldwide, who see the potential this product can have for sewing clothes that fit. She is now working with partner Mary Flynn to continue innovating and to bring the DittoForm to more markets in the US and worldwide.